01 August 2006

It's been a few days...

It’s been a few days, but…

Iran is still instigating violence in the Middle East.

The Israelis are learning the lesson that you cannot win a war by airpower alone. No offence to any Air Force types, but you have to have Infantry (and with infantry you have to have armor and especially artillery in support).

Best of luck and good hunting to IDF forces that are currently engaged.


Mr. Gibson…

Mr. Gibson, oh Mr. Mel Gibson. You are an artist, and I have thoroughly enjoyed your works. Braveheart was a master piece. We Were Soldiers was incredible. Your portrayal of Lt. Col. Harold G Moore was spot on. I ate lunch with Lt. Gen. Moore and Mr. Galloway in 1992 when they stopped at a certain US Government funded educational institution on the Hudson River on their book tour.

Passion of the Christ was an important film. Not fun to watch, but, then again, it was a film about a specifically “un-fun” event. Mr. Gibson, your use of light is probably the best around. Compliments to you and your cinematographer.

Patriot was great, Payback was great.

Road Warrior was excellent. Mad Max was excellent. The Lethal Weapon films are excellent (#4 was lacking just a tad, compared to the first two, especially). You have your own genre – the Mel Gibson Revenge Movie…

On the other hand…

How could you, the face of modern Fundamentalist Catholicism, be anti-Semitic? Was not Mr. Jesus H. Christ, in fact, a Rabbi from Judea? Was not the G-d to which Mr. Jesus H. Christ prayed (and incidentally, was descended from and ascended to) the G-d of the Torah and the Talmud?

Help me understand. If it was the booze talking, then you might want to switch brands. I will give you, who I recognize to be an artist, the “tortured artist” pass. If you are truly an anti-Semite, then you will have my pity, but much fewer of my future box-office dollars.

I, in deference to your treatment, will have to cross you off of the “list of people I want to get drunk with”. You are now on the “list of people I’d like to have a cup of coffee with.”

I for one truly hope that you get better, and soon, sir. I, for one, will give you the benefit of the doubt; you hurt no one but yourself. I am really looking forward to Apocalypto. May your treatment program see you some success.

Just a thought – how about a little atonement – making a movie about Saul, Jonathan and David against the Philistines? One with no punches pulled? That I’d throw out some scratch to see. Also, just saying, but you’d make a darn good Saul…

No comments: