24 July 2008

Book Review: 47th Samurai

So a real quick book review.

47th Samurai (http://www.amazon.com/47th-Samurai-Bob-Swagger-Novel/dp/0743238095)

Overall impressions:

This is a good, "sit on an airplane and read" book. I read it all in less than 24 hours due to a confluence of events.

1) I was on an airplane for about 8 hours all told.
2) My daughter is wonderful and whiled away the hours by coloring, watching her DVD player and taking a very long nap
3) Hunter writes in a great style and it is easy reading.

If you read the reviews on Amazon, you will find that a good many people were not thrilled by this one. I found it to be an entertaining read, if you didn't think about it too hard. It's a movie that I'd only go and see once. It was entertaining, but at times blatantly unbelievable.

So if you're a fan of Hunter, and his Swagger Chronicles (which I am), then by all means give it a read. It's a page turner, if you turn the analytical part of your brain off. Also, Bob the Nailer doesn't even pick up a gun, any gun, throughout the work.

Upon reflection, I probably should have saved my dough and got this one at the library, but since I own every other fiction work the man has done, I have to keep the collection complete.

I'd give it a 5 of 10 with Point of Impact being a 10.
Not Hunter's best work, but it tides me over until Night of Thunder which comes out in September. I have a feeling there might not be any Katanas in that one...

Crazed American, out.

No comments: