19 December 2012

Letters

A passage from a letter from the Crazed American to the Libertarian Floridian Photographer:

"I've got a brand new Dicks Sporting goods down the street from the house.  They had exactly one AR there prior to this tragedy.  Over priced Bushmaster.  

My concern is the provisions of the ban, and how that might play out.  Transfer and sale of existing weapons, for instance.  Registration is something I cannot abide, and cannot support.  Hell, I don't even own any "assault" weapons / modern sporting rifles, but I still won't do it.  Closest thing I have is an M1 Carbine I bought from a Tallahassee Cop back in 1996.  Jumping through a few more hoops for permits is one thing.  If I have to tell Uncle Sugar what I have... that's not OK.  If you need to know what happens after registration, please see The Country Located where Great Britain Used to Be (higher violent crime rate than the US), Australia, Germany in the 1930's, China, Russia, Armenia, et al.

As far as the NRA goes, I support their current stance, but their marketing sucks, and i think it might be time for a new EVP, Mr. LaPierre's too polarizing at this point...  the Second Amendment Foundation is where it's at - Gottlieb and Gura argued McDonald and Heller in front of USSC - and won.  

The People feel as though they have to do something.  Gun Control is the low hanging fruit.  I lived through the last ban and ended up buying a very nice Egyptian MISR-90 and a box of 30 rd magazines for under $400.  It was new production and had all of the AWB features (no bayo lug, no pistol grip and had a 10 rd mag that came with it) ended up selling it cause I needed the money in college.  If they enact a ban, and the political winds change (maybe with a continued Libertarian bent) the ban will go away.  It's a piece of legislation, and it will get overturned, especially if they don't provide for a sunset - like the last one).  Silver linings, perhaps this will galvanize the Pro RKBA community to get out there and really change hearts and minds.  

At least, that is, until the economy goes completely unhinged.

No comments: